Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Counter Cinema, I mean what's the point?

As a wannabe film maker with the desire to genuinely entertain people I find Counter-Cinema to be fairly annoying. Under pleasure vs unpleasure in his establishment of counter-cinematic values Wollen describes the attack on entertainment cinema: 

"Cinema is concieved of as a drug that lulls and mollifies the militancy of the masses, by bribing them with pleasurable dreams, thus distracting them from the stern tasks which are their true destiny"(79)

And of course this attack is valid but I don't really see the point of the attack because this to me is the point of cinema. Mankind has been dependent on different art forms to do achieve this for him, culminating with the film. Wollen goes on to write about Brecht and Horace " in favoring pleasure as the purpose of the arts combined with instruction," and this is what I absolutely agree with. But then Wollen goes on to explain that cinema can't show truth but can show meaning and that Godard is creating important meanings because they exist in relation to other meaning. What I fail to see is this meaning exactly...

If I had paid money to see "Weekend" I honestly might have cried. It was nuts. I don't know when I would ever watch a film like that unless I was in a class(such as this). When I go to the movies I, like most people, want to be entertained and I want to be in a state of suspended belief due to my cultural and societal definitions, etceteras. So as a film maker I dislike counter-cinema, but I guess that's the point of it, but I still fail to see this deep meaning.

Now as an artist I do appreciate counter-cinema in the way I can appreciate a Pollack painting. I would prefer to look at a Rembrandt, but Pollack is different and presents me with alternative and choice, which I assume is comparable with counter-cinema, but see counter-cinema isn't even original in that it is mutilated cinema....that annoys me as well

But despite how annoying Weekend was to me, I still was able to derive some pleasure, some Identification, and some suspended belief. In this sense is Weekend an incomplete counter-cinema? Would a successful counter-cinema drive me to walk out of the theatre? Is there a definition for counter-cinema or is its purpose to be undefined? I'll stop there...

No comments: